My Soul Sings




Thoughts & observations from a husband, father and pastor who desires to live a lifestyle that worships Jesus. When I was 15 years old I heard a very influential person say that we're all meant to be "missionaries". Wasn't sure what that meant but it planted a seed that hasn't stopped growing. Seriously grateful for the life that I've been given and the friends that I've made.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Worlds Apart - Yet The Same


In preparing for this year's Missions Trip to the Amazon Region of Brazil, I've been thinking back to past trips, teams, times of ministry and friends that I've made. I feel blessed to be in a church that is committed to both local and int'l missions. The Kingdom is big, and so is the task at hand.
Recently been thinking about my first big trip, to South India back in 2001. Can't believe it's going on 10 years. The trip made a huge impact in my life. To be in such an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar smells, foods & customs. I truly loved it. I especially loved to listen and join in the worship of Jesus with the indigenous folks in the area. Sitting in a mango grove, singing to just the beat of some primitively made hand drums is an experience I'll never forget. Singing Atta Yesu, Namma Yesu (sp?). The song had a powerful impact on the small group. I asked one of the pastors what it meant. He told me that it means "This Jesus, My Jesus". He went on to explain that in India, with it's millions of impersonal gods who cause fear in the lives of followers, no grace, no mercy, no love it really means something to have a personal savior in Jesus.
Visiting homes, I came across this elderly women and her grandchild. I tried to speak Hindi to her, with the help of a translator. The translator was too kind to say how badly I butchered their language, but the look of confusion on the ladies face said it all. The look of confusion is a universal language. One thing that hit me during this trip tho and I think it's true about any place I've been... customs and culture can be extremely different, but concerns are the same. Regardless of nationality, most parents care for their children and want them to live a good life. Most people highly regard relationships.  Most wives want their husbands to be more romantic (it's true!). Most people want to live a life of purpose, they want to feel like they're making a positive impact in their world. Most people feel a longing inside to know their creator.

1 comment:

flowergirl said...

David, first I admire you for your missions work. I have not traveled abroad as you have, but I see the similarities in our own country when I volunteered traveling in Americorps and at a local homeless shelter for 2 yrs. Second, agreed - we all share a commonality - we need love, kindness, food, water and a purpose. Very basic and simple, yet so out of reach for many across the world, including here in the U.S. The woman in the photo - I can actually see a resemblance to my own mother. Love your blog. Jen